Thursday, July 31, 2014

Living in an Extrovert's World

I would like to begin by saying, I love you all, but let's talk.
Don't be scared! I just want to say a thing or two.

So what is introversion exactly? Extroversion?
An extrovert is someone who enjoys socializing with others and has a lower level of naturally occurring arousal, that's why they enjoy the company of others because they need the stimulation to increase their arousal levels.
An introvert is someone who is less likely to enjoy being with others because they have a naturally higher arousal level, and don't like being around others as much because they find it overly stimulating.

Makes sense right? I thought so.
Thank you Psych!

Well, here is an interesting thought that I had never really fully comprehended, is being an introvert and is being shy the same thing?
No.
A shy person is someone who finds people physically, emotionally, and mentally frightening. An introvert is just a person who enjoys works solitarily, they like their privacy.

Now, extroverts are wonderful, I love them! But their way is not the only way; we need extroverts and introverts to function as a well rounded society. So why does our world discourage introverts? Why do we look down at those who don't mind being alone for a while? Why do we think others who enjoy some solitary time are odd? Why?!

I agree that when you get outside of yourself and try new things and make friends you're happier, but there's a place and something to be said for not having that already as a part of you. I'd like to say thank you to you all for pushing me outside of myself, but to remember that if you're not naturally an extrovert, that's okay. You're not sick, you're not weird or nerdy or whatever, you are just you.

I think that I would describe myself as an ambivert, I'm moderately comfortable with groups and social interaction, but I also relish time away from crowds.

I know that our family is all over the spectrum from introvert to extrovert, but I feel like we encourage more extroversion in the home and I wanted to make sure that the benefits of introversion were not forgotten as they should be applauded as well, in my mind.

This TED talk really says it all, so if you have 20 minutes to spare, I highly recommend it!

Okay that was my two cents, please continue with your lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment